Please check Upcoming Events for our next scheduled Adult Studies and Forums. Evan Hughes heads our Communal Education Ministry; if you have a topic or leader to suggest, please contact him.
NOTE: November 11, 18, 25 will be a series led by Byron Bland on three short articles he has written with his colleague Lee Ross. Much of each session will be Q&A with Byron. The working titles of the three articles are
- Deserving and Undeserving: Who is Entitled to What?
- Safeguarding and Securing as Communal Engagement
- Compromise as an Act of Respect
Here are links to the articles:
On most Sunday mornings, from 9:45-10:15 AM, we hold an Adult Study in the Fellowship Hall (Church Map). Some recent series:
- Confronting Racism: Privilege and White Fragility, based on the book White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism, by Robin Diangelo, which was featured in a New Yorker article this summer. Three Sundays, Oct. 7-21, led by the Rev. Annanda Barclay and Dave Thornton.
- Refuge for Strangers – a series on Judeo-Christian faith, the Presbyterian Church, the US government, and actions regarding legal refugees in the US and, especially, in the Middle East. Three Sundays, Sept. 16-30, led by the Rev. Annanda Barclay, Dave Thornton, and Mary Mikhael, who is an International Peacemaker in the PC(USA)’s Peacemaking Program.
Occasionally on the 2nd or 4th Sundays of the month, after our 10:30 worship service, we hold an extended Forum on topics of interest to our congregation and the wider community. For example,
- Your Body is a Temple: Cannabis, A Public Theology Education Panel Discussion, on October 14th at 12pm.
The purpose of this community forum is to educate and to provide informed exploratory discussion on what the cannabis plant is, what it actually does to your body, and to uncover the history and theology of Christian traditions that have historically interacted with mind altering substances. Featured panelists are Steve DeAngelo and Dr. Debra S. Karshon. Rev. Annanda Barclay will moderate the panel discussion.
Book Cart – Always Available Learning Resources!
Need a good book to read? An important aspect of the Adult Education Ministry is to provide members and friends of the church an opportunity to check out the latest and the best in books of interest to Progressive Christians. In the lounge/library you will find two carts laden with stimulating reading. Come check them out!