Our Cool Planet Working Group was formed in 2006 in response to the growing threat of global climate change. Our Biblical mandate to care for “the least of these” inspires us to seek environmental justice for those whose lives are disproportionately affected by Climate Change.
In November we hosted our annual Regifting event after worship. People donated new or gently used gift items, and others bought them by making a donation to Cool Planet. It was a lot of fun, as usual!! We also approved donations to our partner organizations; for details, click here,
What We Do: A SAMPLING OF COOL PLANET PROJECTS
- Work to increase awareness of Climate Change issues through film showings, book talks, and Adult Education series, such as this one In October 2020: https://www.fprespa.org/events/environmental-racism-three-case-studies/
- Organize an annual Earth Day worship service and activities. In 2021 The Rev. Fletcher Harper of GreenFaith led the 10am Worship Service, followed by a Conversation and Q&A period. See the photo below of us with Bill McKibben, who preached and signed copies of his book Falter in 2019.
- Complete a yearly audit of green actions in the areas of Worship, Education, Facilities and Outreach to maintain our certification as an Earth Care Congregation.
- Participate in the Peninsula Interfaith Climate Action coalition.
- Support and promote overtures at the Presbytery and denominational level to divest our funds from fossil fuels. Encourage individual divestment from financial institutions that finance Fossil Fuel infrastructure.
- Join regional and national movements, such as the Oily Wells and the Climate Strike marches in 2019.
- With the Social Justice Ministry, organize monthly letter writing to legislators on social and environmental justice issues.
- Collaborate on projects to “green” the church. We are working with the Facilities Committee to electrify our HVAC system and install EV chargers.
- Make financial contributions to nonprofits whose goals align with ours. Click here for a list of the organizations we supported in 2022
We are a small group with big plans; we could use your help! We meet on first Sundays just after the main worship service.