Director of Operations (DoO)
DEADLINE TO APPLY: SEPTEMBER 15, 2020
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF PALO ALTO is a Christian church affiliated with the Presbyterian Church USA. We are a justice-seeking, LGBTQIA+ affirming, intellectually curious congregation that cares deeply about one another, the Palo Alto community, and the world. We have a membership of about 200 people with an active facility and involved community. Our worship currently meets on Zoom at 10:00 on Sunday mornings. You can find more information online: www.fprespa.org or via @fpcpaloalto on Twitter, Facebook, IG, and Youtube.
Primary Purpose and Areas of Responsibilities:
The DoO provides foundational administrative support for a progressive faith-based organization that is committed to the ongoing work of justice, compassion, creativity, and love.
The DoO provides leadership, direction, and management of major administrative areas. On an ongoing basis, the DoO will assess organizational systems, implement healthy changes, and provide long-term support for the following administrative areas:
- Tenant Relations and Property Management
- Calendaring and Organizational Management
- Finance and Database Management
- Volunteer Coordination and Management
- Technology Coordination and Management
- Personnel and Human Resources Coordination and Support
- Worship Planning Support
- Communication Support
- Session Support
A successful DoO will free up the Pastor’s time and energy by taking competent ownership of detailed administrative responsibilities with minimal supervision, thereby enabling the Pastor to fully maximize his/her strengths, while ensuring smooth and efficient functioning of the administrative areas named above. The DoO position requires both managerial and hands-on work.
This is the first time the church is opening a DoO position; as such, it is an opportunity for the right individual to shape the exact scope of the job, while adhering to key requirements.
Technical Experience Required (Implementation and Management):
- Google Suite: Installation, Training, and Support
- Google Platforms: Docs, Calendar, Drive, Sheets, Slides, etc.
- Cloud-based Communication: Zoom, Skype, or equivalent
- Cloud-based Project/Team Management: Slack, Trello, Asana, Monday or equivalent
- Database Platforms: Sheets, Excel, or equivalent
- Scheduling Services: Signup, SignupGenius, Calendly, or equivalent
- Website Design: WordPress, HTML, or equivalent
- Basic systems administration and security management
Technical Experience Desired:
- Social Media Coordination: Buffer, Hootsuite, SproutSocial, or equivalent
- Social Media Platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube
- Presentation Software: Powerpoint, Keynote, Slides or equivalent
- Graphic Design: Canva, Photoshop, or equivalent
- Email Lists: Mailchimp, Constant Contact, or equivalent
- Detail-orientedness and ability to prioritize, coordinate, and track multiple projects.
- Strong communication skills and a professional approach to working with office members, tenants, church members, committees, etc.
- Commitment to creating a welcoming, accessible, and hospitable office environment.
- Ability to collaborate with others as an effective team member.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise effectively.
- Self-directed, self-motivated, flexible, adaptable.
- Deep technical and analytical skills.
- Practical understanding of cloud-based platforms to organize and coordinate.
Work Experience Required:
- Business or Office Management
- Tenant Relations and Property Management
- Non-profit, Religious organizations, or equivalent (Desired, but not required)
The DOO reports to the Pastor/Head of Staff and is accountable to the Personnel Committee.
This position is 40 hours a week and the DoO is expected to be onsite Monday-Friday (subject to shelter-in-place recommendation and regulations).
- Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Health Insurance Provided.
- Retirement Benefits Provided.
- Vacation: Four weeks annually (Capped at 1.5 times annual accrual amount)
- Study Leave: One week per year and $1,000 (Accruable for two years).
Applications are encouraged from people of any religious background, and membership in this or any congregation is not a prerequisite for the position. We do not discriminate based on religion, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or physical ability.
To apply please send a detailed email and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted September 1, 2020